Re: Distributor

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:43:33 -0500 (CDT)
You wrote:
>As a follow-up to my previous post about the Mallory distributor,
>does anyone have a stock FoMoCo distributor that they would want to
>part with?
>
>Randy Zimmermann
>(B382002349)

Does that mean you've given up on using the Mallory unit?  My 69
Ranchero is running the Mallory dual point.  No vacuum advance - all
mechanical.  The distributor housing is a much smaller diameter than
the stock Fomoco unit.  It's a tight package inside there with both
sets of points and a condenser (sorry, I should say capacitor, but when
I bought it back in '73, they were still called that).  25 years later,
it's still running perfect.  The shaft bushings are like new.  I don't
know if replacement points are still available but given Mallory's
great reputation, I'd bet they are.  It has logged about 60,000 miles
and is still running the original points, cap and rotor it came with.
How's that for quality?

Conversely, my daughter's '69 Mustang has a Boss 302 dual point from
Fomoco installed on a mostly stock 302.  This distributor, I think, is
more in line with what you described as a Shelby type distributor.  It
has maybe 40,000 to 50,000 miles on it and is sorely in need of a
rebuild.  The best thing is that it looks exactly like a stock
distributor from the outside.  Even uses a regular Ford cap.  This unit
runs a single-advance type of vacuum advance.   I haven't been able to
discern any difference in how either engine performs whether it has
vacuum or mechanical advance, Mallory or Ford.  The Ford unit has
required a lot more service.

Now, for my Tiger, I'm running a Mallory Unilite with a matching
Mallory Promaster coil.  Definitely a hot deal.  No question this is
superior to any points setup.  (I know, I know, there are even hotter
systems out there - like multi-spark MSD-CD.  It must be nice when
price is no object!)

I believe the Pertronics conversion with it's magnetic pickup is the
better way to go.  Probably longer lasting than the Unilite, as I have
heard that the LED in the Unilite will burn out sooner or later, and
probably at the worst possible time.  And, the Pertronics fits inside a
stock distributor giving you that original appearance.

Long story short, if you already have a good Mallory dual point and
money is a bit tight, you won't regret using it.

Don Daves

PS: did I mention that I own a bunch of Mallory stock?  Naw, not
really.  In fact, Mallory is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Accel.
The result of a protective bankruptcy action taken by Mallory in
response to the bankruptcy and total liquidation of Super Shops (the
former parent of Mallory).  But that's another long story.