Re: Front Springs and Shocks

To: johnc@nait.ab.ca, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front Springs and Shocks
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:43:18 EDT

<< I know that this subject has come up before but I wonder what is the best
 combination of shocks and springs for a street driven TIGER? >>

Jeez John, you might as well ask who is the most beautiful woman in the world
(besides my wife, of course). All kidding aside, you will get many responses
from individuals who all feel that one way is the only way.
Some believe in relatively low spring rates with big sway bars. Others say
make it as stiff as you can stand, springwise, and damn the bars. Some swear
by Konis, others like Spax shocks...
IMHO, I like the back end fairly soft with no sway bar, to keep oversteer in
check. I built up a set of Alpine leaf springs (using an extra second leaf to
stiffen them up) and re-arced them to lower ride height a bit (not too low, I
KNOW riding around on the bump stops is an unsettling experience and I'm also
not into kidney belts, which stiff enough springs to work in a race height
application would neccessitate). I run single-adjustable Konis. Softest
setting, unless I am autocrossing or doing open track, in which case I crank
them up about 1/3. I also run bolt-on Traction Masters, which most agree work
much better than the weld-ons. One other thing, I left the rear-most spring
bundles unclamped, like the old Mopar "Super Stock" springs, which helps with
forward traction capability.
In the front I run Sunbeam Specialties springs, which I seem to remember are
450#. Some go as high as 600# and report no real deterioration of ride (which
I have great difficulty believing). I had to cut about 1 1/2 coils out of the
springs to get ride height where I wanted. I use the stock sway bar, and Koni
shocks. The Konis are usually at 1/2 full stiff, unless competing, in which
case they go to full stiff.
FYI, Sunbeam Specialties will soon have urethane A-arm bushings and improved
ball joints available. Don't ask me how soon...
That's my take on the situation.
Mike