Re: Think? Oil additives

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Think? Oil additives
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 07:26:38 -0700

CoolVT@aol.com wrote:

> All this talk of oils and additives reminds me that we're dealing with rugged
> V8's here.  I believe that they should last at least 150,000 miles with just a
> little care.  For most cars I don't believe it's necessary to change the oil
> every 3000 miles.  If there is a lot of highway driving I believe 7000 miles
> or so is often enough.

Mark,

My e-mail, which I stated was from manufacturer's recommendations not my own,
agreed with you and stated that 3,000 miles is adequate.  This is for those who
do a lot of highway driving, as you say.  But, they also state that "severe"
driving conditions require more frequent changes.  These are short drives, when
the engine has not stabilized at it's operating temperature for the majority of
the drive.  This prevents the heat of the oil from driving off unwanted
volatiles.  They also include towing loads, because this puts the engine under
considerably more load than normal.  I believe stop light drag racing probably
fits the category of "severe use", as  does racing and Auto-X.

So you are preaching against the choir, here.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >