Re: Why we own Tigers with rod length and oil additives

To: DrMayf@aol.com, laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Why we own Tigers with rod length and oil additives
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:30:07 -0700
DrMayf, et Listers,

Are we having a bad day or are you just pulling my chain? First, did anyone
raise an objection to you using an Alpine chassis? Certainly wasn't me.
Actually didn't know and don't care anyway.

As to my use of the word "insane", as in "Apparently one of the main
reasons we own Tigers with insanely souped-up engines is to SCARE
OURSELVES;" , I only meant it as an exaggerated description of a very high
output engine, not the mentality of the owner/builder. But, come to think
of it, for most of us at least, spending about $50k on a "grenade" motor
would have our spouses and investment counselors questioning our sanity
just a little.

Anyway, damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead Larry. Can't wait till you
light the fuse.

Bob

At 02:46 PM 10/5/98 -0400, DrMayf@aol.com wrote:
>Very curious, especially concerning the all to recent and continuing
arguments
>for names of Alpines with Ford V8s. I do not believe in any instance I ever
>tried to palm my V8 powered Alpine of as a Tiger. Never. I have stated that I
>wish to have the fastest Sunbeam on the planet and when I drag race it, the
>quickest.  As to INSANELY Modified, I also ask to whose standard? Do I
plan on
>driving this vehicle on the street? Absolutely not. Is it a bonafide race
car?
>I believe so. I has the original Alpine steel body and underpinings. While
>everyone has a right to an opinion and I listen to those opinions, I do not
>believe that tagging someone with INSANE is reasonable. My chioce of
>recreation is surely not yours, but it is mine and I take offense to your
>characterization.

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com