Intake Manifold Gaskets

To: "'Tiger List'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Intake Manifold Gaskets
From: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:24:09 -0700
This is a little hard for me to explain, but here goes.  I have the original
intake manifold off and am in the middle of installing an Edelbrock F4B.
Valve covers are off.  Looking down at the cylinder heads it is pretty
obvious that the forward and rear ports are for water.  The four ports which
mate up to the intake manifold for air/fuel are also obvious.  What is the
port in the middle for?  This is the smaller one sandwhiched between the two
middle intake manifold bolts.

Here's why I ask.  I have two intake gasket sets (both say they are for
260/289/302).  One gasket set has no hole where this middle port is.  The
other gasket set has a round hole where this middle (rectangular) port is.
I'm guessing I need to use the set with the hole in the middle and probably
need to cut the hole out to match the shape of the rectangular port.

So, what's going on here?

Thanks,

Dave