Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets/ Use of RTV

To: "Doug Mallory" <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Subject: Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets/ Use of RTV
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 10:46:03 -0700
Doug,

Still can't figure out if you think Tom's procedure is right or wrong Doug.
WRT RTV use, he states:

" - - a light coating of RTV on the top surface and a bubble of RTV at each
tang interface with the manifold gasket." Seems like this procedure would
still allow penetration by oil. And, btw, gasoline evaporates a lot faster
than oil, so if I had oil in my Holley, the corks would probably stay fat a
lot longer. (Now, if you're wondering just what this has to do with intake
manifold seals, I'm still trying to figure out the relevance of the
carburetor gaskets analogy too.)

Actually, your post raises a lot of questions; like what adhesive would you
recommend if you use the cork gasket? And what's the "etc." in "Cork must
be in contact will oil/gas etc." I try real hard to keep any gasoline or
"etc." from getting inside my engine.

Well, I could go on, but enough of this fun.

Praying in S.D for a miracle in N.Y.,

Bob

At 12:47 PM 10/18/98 -0400, Doug Mallory wrote:
>Cork must be in contact will oil/gas etc. to work and if you coat it with
>RTV it will
>not expand and seal. Think what happened the last time your Holly set
>without gas
>in it for a long time. I have used both with luck but not together. RTV need
>to set before
>final tightening of the assembly and I have had the parts move while waiting
>for it to set.
>3M weather stripping adhesive is great for holding cork in place one side
>only and you can reuse the gaskets. NASCAR uses it to hold lug nuts in
>place.
>
>Doug

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com