Re: '65 tiger value

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>,
Subject: Re: '65 tiger value
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:15:20 -0700
Ed,

Your options depend a lot on where you are located. The only "official" way
to verify (excuse me) "authenticate" a Tiger is by having it inspected by
three Tiger Authentication Committee (TAC) members. Unofficially, there may
be knowledgeable people in your area that can help. Most Alger conversions
are actually pretty obvious to a reasonably knowledgeable person.

Taking what you say about the car at face value and guessing at the rest,
I'd say the car is worth at least $10k, maybe even $15k. Don't take this
too seriously though; it depends on a lot of things. If you give us the VIN
number (i.e., B947XXXX), someone with the Tiger registry can probably tell
you a lot more about it.

Bob

At 11:32 AM 10/19/98 -0400, Edward Hamilton wrote:
>I usually reside on the triumph and spitfire lists.  However, I've
>recently stumbled upon a '65 tiger that I have an interest in
>purchasing.  So....a couple of questions to the learned group:
>I understand that there are a great deal of converted Alpines -- how to
>I verify that it is truly a tiger?
>The specific vehicle that I'm looking at is a '65 in reasonably good
>shape.  It lacks the original 260 engine and has a 289 in its place.
>While I've yet to physically take a peek at it, I'm told the interior is
>completely redone, new clutch, brakes with little or no rust.  Engine
>reportedly runs strong.  Any guess as to an estimate of its value?
>
>Best regards,
>Ed Hamilton

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com