Re: Stopping Power - Accumulators

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Stopping Power - Accumulators
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:08:18 -0700
At 04:46 PM 10/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>While on braking, I have come into possesion an early NOS
>"ABS/Trax" anti-lock braking system for single master
>cylinder cars.  This system uses very high tech
>polished/anodized aluminum sealed units.  Not cheap
>manufacture.  One is meant to "T" into the front disk
>system, and the other on the rear disk line.  Presumably set
>for disk-front/drum rear there are no electronics involved.
>It does not sense wheel lock-up and relieve braking  It
>appears to contain a high pressure gas on one side of a
>piston, with a spring/valve control to "chatter" the braking
>in an on/off mode.  Like pumping the brakes 1,000 times a
>minute.
>
>Anyone with any experience using something like this?  The
>manufacturer is not in business and there seem to have been
>more than one .
>
>Steve

        Out of the past and off the back of my "brake stuff" shelf comes the
"Safety Braker".  At least 20 years of NOS dust and from a company called G
& O out of San Rafael, CA.  As you describe a hydraulic accumulator with a
sealed piston chamber.  Lots of Tigers in the SF Area used to run them.  I
believe that they intended primarily to limit the shock peak of rapid brake
application to make the brake system easier to modulate (avoid instant
lockup).  Factory recommended two, one front system and one rear system
(why not double your sales).

        Never did install and try this piece.  Went instead to dual masters with
an adjustable balance bar in about 1980, but that's another story.

Tom