Pinion Seal

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Pinion Seal
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:41:35 -0700
Paul,

I replaced the pinion seal on my car the first week I owned it. Pep boys
had the part in stock. As far as keeping the pinion from spinning while you
try to remove the nut, try the parking brake. If you have no parking brake
try a breaker bar and cheater pipe on the rear axle nut wedged onto the
garage floor, they never come off. The drive flange came right off with a 2
jaw puller. I fabricated a thin set of jaws for the same puller that fit
inside the lands of the splines. I used these thin jaws to pull the actual
seal out of the axle housing. The rear end gear set-up was unaffected by
the replacement of the seal. I'm sure you'll get much more info than you
need on this small endeavor.

While you're under there, check your panhard rod bushings/mounting bracket,
and record your rear end housing serial number, its stamped into the bottom
of the gear case.

Have Fun,

Mike S.