Re: Stopping Power

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stopping Power
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:52:23 -0700
Jay,

Back to Mechanics 1A for you Jay. Turn to Chapter I, Page 2;

                F = pA

That's force (on your brakes in this case) is equal to the product of area
(that's pi times the radius of the slave piston squared) and p, the
hydraulic fluid pressure. For a given force of your foot on the brake, you
get a certain pressure p. Thus, making A (the size of the slave) bigger
means more braking, not less.

Apparently Steve hasn't taught you everything he knows yet. (Right Steve??)

Bob

At 08:06 AM 10/21/98 -0700, Jay Laifman wrote:

>Bob, now you are going to be hit from both sides.  You wrote:
>
>>Based on Lou's
>>experience, I installed the earlier (bigger) slave cylinders in my Tiger.
>>Even this did not give too much braking in the rear. Never could figure
>why
>>Sunbeam made this change. (Maybe Rich wrote them and told them his Alpine
>>was locking up in the rear first?) Anyway, it's my impression that usually
>>the rear drums on a Tiger aren't doing as much work as they should.
>
>BIGGER slaves give LESS braking!  Bigger slaves means it needs MORE fluid
>to move the same distance.  Therefore, you reduced the effectiveness of the
>rear brakes relative to the front brakes.
>
>Jay Laifman
>Gotta keep that Laifman end up, sir.

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com