Re: Stopping Power

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Subject: Re: Stopping Power
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:25:01
At 10:41 AM 10/21/98 -0700, Jay Laifman wrote:

>I take back my second comment about leverage.

Consulted a higher authority?

>However, it seems to me that since the calipers are not changing, that
>relative to the rear brakes, the rears will now move less than the
>fronts for the same amount of pedal travel.  Is that not true?

Yes, but so what?

>Won't the fluid travelling through the brake lines still only go at the
>same rate as before.

Rate isn't a factor here Jay, unless your talking about the reaction time
before the brakes take hold. That's why Rich likes to keep his rear brakes
tightened up. You're looking hard for some secondary effect instead of
starting with the basics.

>So the relative balances will change.  And, the fronts will be stronger
>relative to the rears?

I guess you know the answer in NO.

Being an "expert witness" in San Diego,

Bob