Actual technical question on brakes

To: "Tigerlist * (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Actual technical question on brakes
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:21:30 -0500
Should've inserted this in my last post.

How are all of you treating the front brake dust shields? Back when I
did a lot of 'crossing and gonzo street driving, in a Datsun 510, I
removed my dust shields altogether. Fade went away completely, the brake
were then up to anything I asked of them. Sounds like an idea for
Sunbeams, except for something I read. In "Alpine, the Classic Sunbeam",
the author describes developing the disc brakes for the car and found
severe pad wear until dust shields were _added_. I don't have the book
in front of me, but I recall it was related to driving the car in the
rain (which I avoid). Hmmm; risk it? What are you guys doing? Anyone
doing without? How about air scoops on the shields? Or louvers punched
in them? And is it requisite to insert thin washers in lieu of the
shields to keep the calipers centered over the rotor, or does that
really matter? Same questions, also, on anyone using discs on the rear.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com