RE: No Tiger Content -- BRAKES

To: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: No Tiger Content -- BRAKES
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:22:43 -0800
Mike,

Great question.....YES is the answer.

I have had a terrible time until recently with my 91 Ford Explorer.
Particularly on the front end.  Recall, this model year had front discs and
rear drum brakes.  Rear drum brakes have never been replaced in excess of
134,000 miles.  Go figure.  So much for "self adjusting."

Front brakes have always been a pain.  They virtually EAT pads.  Until
recently, I have been lucky to get 10,000 miles out of a set of front brake
pads.  Calipers have been replaced twice.  First time at about 60K miles
with PeePee Boys rebuilt calipers with a lifetime warrantee.  Still same
problem.....eating pads.  Several moths ago, my neighbor who owns a garage
convinced me to replace the worn calipers, but to this time specify ceramic
pistons as opposed to metal.  He said that in his experience with Fords
(particularly Explorers) that the original pistons did not dissipate heat
adequately which leads to excessive wear.  Oh, and one more thing: he
suggested and I authorized switching to carbon metallic brake pads. This
combination seems to work.

So far, so good.  Front pads do not seem to be wearing excessively any more.
Hell, if this works I just might be able to get a good 17-20K miles on a set
of pads in the future!

Hope this helps......this problem bugged the dickens out of me too.

Regards,

Allan

BTW, should be getting to the trunk deck covers sometime next week....at
least I hope so.