Re: bumper mounts

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: bumper mounts
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 20:51:15 -0500
At 4:09 PM -0500 11/4/98, STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com wrote:
>     Now, I've never done this, but it doesn't sound like such a great idea
>     to hang the body from the bumper mounts on a rotisserie.  The last
>     time I had my bumpers off (admittedly a while back), these points did
>     not impress me as being strong enough for bumpers, never mind anything
>     else.  And I seem to remember someone saying that these were not good
>     points to use for a bolt on flat towing rig.
>
>     Any other opinions out there?
>
>     Stu

The jacking points are welded into the "frame"  rails on a Tiger. If the
car  has a only minor rust- rotted floors and rocker panels, it should do
OK. Remember, you'll only be picking up the sheet metal tub of the car with
everything stripped off. I bet the whole thing weighed only 500 lbs. I
remember being able to pick up either end of the tub by myself!
I built and used a rottiseire when I did my Tiger, and it was much better
than lying on my back eating welding slag! It made painting the underside a
brezze- all I had to do was roll the car over at whatever angle I needed to
work at.
However, since the car had been Redi-Stripped, I could see exactly how much
rust had taken hold over the years. If you have any doubts, you should
probably rig up some temporary braces on the car structure. The door hinge
and suspension mounting points would be a good starting point to make the
car more rigid before putting it up in the air.