Re: Clutch Master

To: "W John Gardiner" <johngard@vianet.on.ca>,
Subject: Re: Clutch Master
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:21:12 -0800
John,

If the cylinder bore needs anything more than some scotchbrite to clean it
up, then in my experience you need to replace it completely. Using a honing
tool with even very fine stones does not seem to work on these Girling
castings. The bore diameter seems to run oversize already and perhaps there
is some surface treatment that is removed by honing. Whatever the reason,
I've never had a successful rebuild when I've honed the cylinder. If you
really want to do it right, send the cylinder out to be sleeved.

Good luck,

Bob

At 07:30 PM 11/10/98 -0500, W John Gardiner wrote:
>Thank you so much to Chris, Bob, Rande, Curt, Steve, Bill and Alan who
>responded so quickly to my plea for help regarding getting the plunger out
>of the master cylinder body. A little low pressure air and a few taps on the
>side of the body and out came the plunger. The seals definitely need to be
>replaced and were the cause of the fluid leak.
>
>I will order my rebuild kit now. I will also get a brake booster rebuild
>kit. So I may come online screaming for help again.
>
>Thanks folks.
>
>John in Ontario

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com