RE: inquiry 112398b

To: "'Wright, Larry'" <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: RE: inquiry 112398b
From: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:11:59 -0800
Larry,

I have recently completed going through my rear suspension and am very
pleased with the results.  As I have mentioned on the list before, I had
significant wheel hop.  To the point that I really couldn't get on it at
all.  I did have some off-brand of traction bar.  Now that all the old stuff
is out, it is obvious that all bushings and shocks were dead.

New Panhard rod bushings from SS
New rear springs from Dale A
New rear Carerra shocks from Dale A
Waiting for new bolt-on traction bars ordered from Larry Atkisson (no
traction bars are on the car at the moment)

The results are great.  No wheel hop.  And it's only going to get better
with the Larry A traction bars installed.  The car seems to sit a little
lower in the back now.  Wish I would have measured it before and after.  The
ride is a little stiff, but not painful.  All of the rattling in the back of
the car is gone.

During this phase of the project I really wanted to upgrade to 3.07 gears
and posi.  Got a quote from a locally highly recommended shop at $690 for
the job including a complete rebuild with new seals, etc.  Decided to pass
on that for now.

Isn't it funny how you beef up one part of the whole system and it just
highlights the next weak link?  I mean, now that the rear suspension is
beefed up, wheel hop essentially gone, Edelbrock/Holley installed last
month, ....., how long do you figure I have until I burn out my clutch???

On the first time out after doing the work, I let the car warm up in the
driveway, got her good and warm and then drove gingerly down to the first
stop sign.  I let a guy on a bicycle pass through the intersection left to
right.  Waited a couple of seconds and then turned right myself.  Of course
I had to get on it.  I know that's cheating a little (getting on it in a
right hand turn).   Before the work, it would have sounded like a jack
hammer was going off in the back of the car.  Not this time.  That right
rear tire lit up and started screaming.  Really screaming cause it was
underneath an overpass for the freeway.  Well, by now I'm about 20 feet from
the poor guy on the bicycle who must be convinced that some out-of-control
car is heading right at him with all four wheels locked up.  Chirped second
as I came out from underneath the overpass, grinning from ear to ear.

Now I really want those 3.07 gears and the posi.

Dave