Discriminator or flaw?

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Discriminator or flaw?
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:12:16 -0500
Folks,
        On my 67 Tiger II that I have had since 69 I
noticed something I had never noticed before.  The
driveshaft tunnel has a bulge in it on the passenger
side. The normal tunnel is 4 1/2" wide; however; starting
1 1/4" from the crossmember and extending back to 14"
there is a bulge that extends out to 4 15/16".  The
4 15/16" is 6 " back from the cross member and 1 1/2"
up from the floor.  From under the Tiger I see that
the driveshaft is closer to the passenger's side than the
driver's side. ( This I have known for years, but I
never noticed the bulge).  It appears that the bulge
is original and was put in there to provide additional
clearance for the front U-joint.  I also have a couple
of Alpines that do not have a similar bulge.
      I noticed this as I was stripping the gray cardboard
insulation off the tunnel in preparation of re-covering
it. It is surprising to me that the rubber cement used
to glue the cardboard on is still pliable after 31+ years.
        I also recovered the console and found another
minor detail.  The cardboard piece that supports the
vinel on the rear flat portion of the console is
tapered a bit.  It is about 4 3/4" wide on one end and
4 5/8" wide on the other.  About 6 " long.  Of course
I had to put it on backwards the first couple of times
and it didn't match the taper of the console.  It is a
real mess to remove the vinel after I applied a lot of
contact cement, but I finally got the cardboard facing
the correct direction ( taper to the front.)
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others