RE: inquiry 120298d

To: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 120298d
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:23:36 -0700
There's a relatively recent technology that might be useful for making
replacement caps at a reasonable cost. A computer controlled laser is used to
generate a positive image of the desired part in some kind of gel, which hardens
and is then used in a lost-wax type casting process. The effort required to make
an image and a mold for each part is offset by the fact that it's done
automagically. What's needed is a 3D computer model of the part. We've used this
method to create low-volume cast aluminum endcaps (about 2" x 3" x 4") for our
receiver cases.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705