inquiry 120498h

To: "TransAtlantic Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: inquiry 120498h
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:19:38 -0600
Tiger folk:
I just received the little 1/43 Tiger toy kit from K&R today ( in the
UK, they still secure packages with string???). A quick overview, esp.
comparing to the ENCO kit I built a few years back:

a) about 100+ parts. No, really.
b) the swollen look in the photo that Mark put up for me on his web page
must've been from the photography; the kit looks truly well
proportioned.
c) the casting quality is better than the ENCO kit; the only roughness
on the bodyshell  is directly under the side-strip moldings. Either
brand kit will require some hand finishing and both should result in a
fine completed car.
d) dashboards (fascias) supplied to do LHD or RHD.
e) this is truly a MK1; the "boot doors" over the soft-top are flush,
whereas the ENCO kit's "boot" sits proud of the surface, more like a
Mk1A's soft cover. Oh, I see, a soft cover is included in case you want
to build a Mk1A.
f) the TIGER side scripts are two of the photo-etched parts, and they
look like _hairs_. I expect installation makes this an advanced-level
kit. No ALGER script supplied.  :-)
g) I was sent 2 sets of door handles in response to my criticism that
those in the photo looked oversized. A cursory examination suggests
that, yes, the smaller set will do nicely.
h) detail on the (optional) Minilites is crisp, I cannot recall if
ENCO's are as good.
i) the hood (bonnet) does not open, but I haven't seen any 1/43 _metal_
kits that do. The 1/43 Cobra 289 kit, in plastic, that I just got has a
well-detailed engine I could shove in if I wanted to cut the hood
opening; it even has the finned LAT-style valve covers.
j) I rushed these guys, I might have a pre-production example, later
ones could be different/better for all I know.
k) "Directions" sheet is similar to ENCO's; one page of, literally,
hand-drawn pictures and limited text. I guess I'd rather they were
second-rate illustrators and first-rate die makers than the other way
around.
l) I was hoping to get a full catalog in the package, but one wasn't
included (but see "j" above). As I've said before, I'm interested in
AmeriPowered cars, and the box is covered in marque names of British
cars including "Jensen", "Allard", and "Bristol". Hmmm...

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com