inquiry 120798c

To: "TransAtlantic Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: inquiry 120798c
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:23:41 -0600
a)I was looking through a J. C. Junk catalog (not mine, I finally got
off their mailing list), saw something cute in their new-items pages. An
aluminum extrusion with LAT-8-style fins designed to slip over an oil
filter to dissipate heat; it is held to the filter by a big hose clamp
around its middle, it appeared in the drawing to go 95% of the way
around the filter. I would imagine that the efficiency would be directly
related to the ability to transfer heat from the filter to the
extrusion; if the center is clamped tight and the whole thing heats up,
then perhaps the ends might flare out and cause an insulating air gap
(but wouldn't it be self-correcting, and cycle like a thermostat in a
house?). Well, I cannot imagine using on a stock Tiger oil filter
set-up, but perhaps it might work on a car with the FMS or Econoline
adapter, or cars like mine with the filter relocated in the fenderwell.
I think the cost was $16.95 plus getting stuck on their mailing list for
5 years; for someone whose Tiger is in a borderline-overheating mode, it
might help a wee bit.

b)It has been 2 weeks since my 1st post about rebuilding the suspension
on the Garage Queen; I got some really useful feedback. So, I'm
re-posting the whole darn thing, with _edited_ responses inserted in
brackets. Two reasons: first, somebody else could perhaps use the help;
second, you'll see there are still a few questions unanswered and I'm
hoping to get additional help. As you can see, there are a few "???"
still open.