Re: Re:Paint Removal

To: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>, <Carmods@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Paint Removal
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:19:54 -0800
    Well, the last time I checked, Hot tanking (Hot Special Solvent bath at
automotive machine shops) will eat aluminum.  Cold Tanking (different
solution, similar to carb cleaner but stronger) as it is called, works very
well for aluminum.  Some bead blasting may still be required if the powder
coating was realy well done.   WARNING.  Use ONLY Plastic beads for the
blasting.  They will not damage te aluminum, and are far easier to remove in
the final blow out/ wash out cleaning procudes when you are done.  Glass
beads are harder than the cast aluminum, and they can and WILL damage any
aluminum surface they are blasted on.  Use ONLY plastic beads....Takes
longer = No Damage !!!

Rich