Oil in the Rack

To: "Tiger Owners" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil in the Rack
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:42:49 -0800
Listers,

Your advice por favor......

I understand that contrary to the manual, it is possible to check the level
of the oil (90W gear?) in the steering rack on the Tiger.  From what I have
heard, one simply jacks the front of the car, removes the covers on each of
the left and right hand side of the rack and checks the level.  It appears
that I will also be required to remove the fan shroud to gain easier access
to the rack covers.

Question is: is this true, can one jack the car high enough off of the
ground to check and fill the gear oil in the rack and pinion?  If so, how
high does one have to go?  By the looks of it, fairly high I would assume in
order to get the caps fairly level with the ground.  Is it really more
preferable to completely remove the rack to add gear oil? (that looks like a
helluva job!)  The PO told me that the oil needed to be checked and topped
off annually....I have not touched it since I bought the car.

Your collective thoughts on this and many other subjects is greatly
appreciated.  I sincerely hope all had a very happy holiday.

Regards,

Allan