Re: Oil in the Rack

To: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Oil in the Rack
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:23:01 -0500
At 10:42 PM 12/26/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>Your advice por favor......
>
>I understand that contrary to the manual, it is possible to check the level
>of the oil (90W gear?) in the steering rack on the Tiger.  From what I have
>heard, one simply jacks the front of the car, removes the covers on each of
>the left and right hand side of the rack and checks the level.  ...
>Allan

        To fill the rack on my Tiger II, I jack the drivers side
up a bit, mainly to remove the tire/wheel to get it out of the way.
I then loosen/ remove the clamp on the small end of the boot.
I slip a 1/4" fairly rigid plastic hose under the lip of the
boot and stick the pointy end of a 90 weight oil container in the
other end of the hose. Squeeze for a while until you have
enough oil in the rack.  I know of no way to "check the level"
while the rack is on the Tiger.  I just fill until as much is
comming out around the hose as is going in. This probably
makes the rack about 1/2 full as the hose is just above the
center of the rack.  If the boot is too brittle to streach
over the hose then both boots should be replaced anyway.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others