Clutch Long

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch Long
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:35:52 -0500
Folks,
        I just pulled my 351C and transmission to change
the clutch.  It seemed to be getting easier and easier
to push the clutch in with a lot of slop.  It also
would slip if I tried to take off in 2nd gear.  I found
that one of the "fingers" on the Long Clutch was "floppy"
before I removed it from the flywheel.  It tightened
up when off the flywheel and I could find no broken springs.
The disk was in need of replacement.  Almost down to the
rivets.

By the way, I have an 8 ft ceiling in the garage.  I used
a "Come Along" attached to chain connected to a beam up
inside the ceiling.  I jacked the Tiger up about 18 inches
in the front and 12 inches in the rear. Using the come
along I lifted the motor and transmission up to clear
the steering rack and then let the tiger back down to the
floor.  I then lifted the motor/transmission up to clear
and rolled the tiger out of the way.  I could have gone up
another foot if needed.  Note that the 351C has a huge
long water pump on it that would interfere with the
sheet metal above the radiator.  I cut a chunk of this
out to clear the waterpump.
        My cross member is welded in so I will never
be able to attempt to remove the motor from the
bottom.
        Presently cleaning and painting everything
in preparation for re-insertion.
        Also doing a lot of measurment as well.
I have a second toploader from another car, not a
Tiger, that has a 24" tail piece.  The Tiger has a
25 1/2" tail piece.  I am considering moving the
351C back 1 1/4" and using the newer transmission.
My problem at the moment is the shifter.  I had
installed a Hurst shifter on the newer Transmission
and the mounting interferes a bit with the transmission
tunnel.  The Tiger shifter will not fit the newer
transmission.  The Tiger tail piece has a notch in it
and the new one does not.

The speedometer cable comes off below the shaft on the new
transmission. The Tiger cable comes off above the shaft.
A reverse cut speedometer gear would be needed for
the new transmission.  ( And and a new path for the cable
exit.)

 I also figured I would have to rebuild the
transmission cross member to make the tube shorter
to fit in the V of the X member and move back 1 1/4".
Well, I had another cross member out of an early
Tiger that I thought I would butcher.  Turns out
it was already narrower and the bolt holes would be
 1 1/4" back when mounted.  Just have to drill and tap
new bolt holes in the X member.
         My original Top loader is difficult to shift
at high speed, (only has 180K or so miles on it).
I also considered taking the main shaft and tail
piece of the original transmission and putting them
on the newer transmission. (and not moving the motor back).
Looking at a couple of Top loader rebuild articles
is making me reconsider this.  I have done a transmission
rebuild one time and it was very frustrating.
        So belated Merry Christmass and a Happy Hang Over.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others