Scenic Lake Lloyd

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Scenic Lake Lloyd
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:47:31 -0500
     Another battle in the eternal struggle between wives and "car guy"
     husbands has been lost, folks.  You know what I mean.  HE wants just a
     little time to play in the garage,  but SHE has some great plan to
     visit Aunt Matilda, or select tile for the kitchen floor,
     or....ANYTHING that will keep him out of the garage.  Familiar, right?

     Most years I plan to start my spring Tiger improvement project while
     watching the Daytona 500 on the tube.  I put a TV in the garage, and
     start sorting spares, disassembling something, making up parts orders,
     or whatever.  I usually start warning her around mid January.  Don't
     plan anything for that Sunday afternoon, Dear.  Doris's task is, of
     course,  to create some non automotive, family or house oriented
     activity to destroy my plan.  The sudden need for a chair rail on a
     curved wall, is but one example of her plotting.  She's good, but more
     often than not, I can pull it off.

     Not this year.  Before I even started the warnings, I'm out of
     business.  The Tiger will NOT be touched that weekend.  Even if I
     wanted to.  No way.  I won't even be in the same county.  Not the same
     state.

     Way back last spring we went down to Maryland to visit Ira, an old
     college buddy, and his family.  After graduation Ira and I hung around
     together for a few years (before he moved south), messing with cars,
     going to races, all the usual.  We never expressed it, but I'm sure we
     both felt that we'd better get lots of play time in before getting
     tied down with wives, houses, kids, etc.   We journeyed to the Grand
     Prix in Monaco and bounced around Europe for a couple weeks, and did
     the Long Beach Grand Prix, back when it was F1.  We had Indy 500
     tickets, but Ira was in the middle of planning his wedding that year,
     and he couldn't make it.  I met Doris the next year.  Our growing
     families have visited back and forth many times.

     Anyway, it was during this visit that our wives hatched the plan to
     seize control of the Feb. 14 weekend,  perfecting it over the summer.
     It was recently sprung on both of us, cleverly disguised as Christmas
     presents.

     So instead of sitting in my cold Massachusetts garage, changing my
     backwards wheel studs and checking tire clearances with my new mags,
     while watching Mark beat Jeff on the tube, I'll be sitting outside
     near the shores of Lake Lloyd,  only able to daydream about what I
     could be doing to the Tiger.  Well, we will be watching Mark beat
     Jeff, but not on the tube.

     Yes, that's right.  Ira and I were presented with tickets for the
     Daytona 500.  The Weatherly grandstand, just opposite the pit
     entrance.  We're going to have to drag our tails all the way down to
     Florida, and stay with some of Ira's "in-laws" just a couple miles
     from the track.  We'll have to sit outside all afternoon, in all that
     sun and noise.  And the wives or kids aren't even coming along to help
     us carry stuff.  How much are we supposed to put up with, anyway?

     Don't let this happen to you!  Wives are getting even trickier than
     they used to be!  Guard your Tiger time carefully!!!

     Now, the only problem is, how will we get our "revenge"?

     Stu