Re: Tires

To: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 12:04:27 -0800
Gary, Paul, et Listers,

I know I'm repeating myself, but what the heck, it's a new year. On the
front axle the fit is the most stringent. I recommend 15" wheels with 7"
width and 4-3/4" to 4-7/8" rear spacing (195 or 205/50 tires of course).
This will necessitate cutting some clearance in the lower valence area of
the wheel arch, but this is probably acceptable to even the "stock"
oriented contingent. (Note that this information applies only to 15" and
larger diameters because of interference with the upper control arm. Note
also that from a handling perspective, it is best to place the front wheels
as far inboard as possible; i.e., just the opposite of the low-rider
style.This is not the case for the rear axle, however.) I am actually
running Centerline ConvoPro 7.5" wide rims up front, but without the
negative camber, they would stick out a wee too much. The same wheels will
fit on the rear axle, but you will probably want to increase the rear track
to make front and back more equal. This means maybe up to an inch less back
spacing or a correspondingly wider rim. I use the 8.5" wide ConvoPro in
back, but have flared the rear wheel arches a bit to accommodate the wider
rim (using 225/50-15 Yokohama AVS Intermediate tires).

Bob

At 11:12 PM 12/31/98 -0800, Gary A Winblad wrote:
>Bob,
>Which wheels/tires are you running (and car mods)??
>15 inch wheels are on my plans for 1999!
>Anybody else have a good setup?
>Thanks,
>Gary

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com