Re: tires

To: geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tires
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:39:56 EST
geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Sorry I haven't paid much attention to the tire talk of late.  But I'm
 going to need new tires soon, as the current ones are suffering from dry
 rot (age unknown).  Mine came with a mismatched set of Pirelli's (P77 on
 the front, P400 on the rear) P185/70-13 mounted on L.A.T. 9 wheels.
 This size Pirelli is still available in my area at $71/tire.  Seems to
 work fine for me (I don't race).  Anything wrong with this set-up? >>

Jim-
There are a number of choices for all-weather tires in a 185/70-13 size and
they all should work fine for you. The P400 is available from Tire Rack
(888-370-8473)for $44/each. If you want a little more contact patch and a
little less sidewall, Yokohama makes the AVS in a 205/60-13 size ($79). Also
available in a 185/70-13 is the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 for $49 or a
Firestone Firehawk SS10 for $39. You might also look into the Michelin MXV.

The problem is finding real high performance tires (you know, the kind that
wear out and lose it after 4 heat cycles) in a 185/70-13 or even 215/60-13 now
that BF Goodrich has stopped making the TA R1s. I am looking into availability
of the Kumho Victoracer and Hoosier R3S02.

If street driving and touring, with an occasional blast through the twisties,
is the application, I would just buy the $50-75 tires which do all things well
and last a while.

Mike