RE: [Fwd: Sand Blast Stripping Headers] boundary="------------A11

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <laifman@flash.net>,
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Sand Blast Stripping Headers] boundary="------------A11
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:30:29 -0700
(I'm pulling the original text out of the attachment that my mailer put it in.)

Pete wrote me about my caution on sand blasting, and asked for a
recommendation of his headers.  I thought that the answer might be
of sufficient interest to warrant distribution to the list.  If you
aren't interested, delete now, as I do get rather detailed into
options.

Pete Stanisavljevich wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Does this warning apply only to sheet metal? I'm ready to have my
> exhaust manifolds sandblasted. I wonder if I should now.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter S.

Pete,
[options on refinishing headers deleted]

If Pete actually meant 'manifolds', and not 'headers' then I'd say go for it
with the sandblaster, since cast iron is brittle already anyway, and doesn't
work harden like steel.

I recently built a custom header for a friend. Started with a Jeep V-8 header
set (Eagle brand), cut the pipes from the head flange and the collectors, and
then stripped the paint with a wire wheel mounted on a bench grinder. I don't
know if it was because these headers were new, but that paint came off like
nothing. I've done this a few times before using other headers as a starting
point (Hedman, I think), and whatever they put on those was a lot harder to get
off, even with chemical strippers. Still, diligent wire wheeling left a clean
surface to work with.

Another note: If you do sandblast headers prior to repairing them, try to get
all the embedded grit out of the metal surface before welding it. Glass doesn't
have good mechanical properties.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705