Re: I need a wheel for a spare tire. What will fit? G.M., Ford

To: Alvin and Lucille Johnson <johnson@ids.net>,
Subject: Re: I need a wheel for a spare tire. What will fit? G.M., Ford
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:48:56 -0800
At 06:37 PM 1/26/99 -0500, Alvin and Lucille Johnson wrote:
>Dennis DeBolt wrote:
>>
>> A great spare for a Tiger is the Space Saver spare out of a T-bird or
>Mustang, I
>> believe the 1990's  4- bolt variety.  It fits nicely in the trunk and
doesn't
>> take up a lot of room.
>> Marysville School District
>> Marysville, WA. USA
>
>Not so great. A Tiger has 7/16 wheel bolts; the Mustang/T-Bird rim has
>1/2 inch bolts. They can and do pull thru......You DO drive vigorously,
>don't you???
>Al J.

Al, Dennis,

I was driving to work one morning recently and saw someone driving about 75
with one of those temporary spares and wondered what the tire engineer who
design those things would have thought. Then I saw an Escort with four
people on board go by - with two of them on one side. Couldn't see the
other side; maybe there were two over there too. Actually, I see people
driving around with these VERY temporary spares quite frequently. I'm
beginning to think maybe the Asebring Association aught to add a class just
for folks driving on stock. tempa-spares. However, I honestly wouldn't
recommend any kind of "vigorous" driving with this kind of tire, unless
your nuts are a lot bigger than 1/2".

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com