Un-Galvinizing Sheet metal

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Un-Galvinizing Sheet metal
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:53:01 -0500
Folks,
        I had a need for some sheet metal for my firewall
modifications while moving my 351C back more in the
Tiger II.  I had run out of the plain sheet metal and all I
had was galvinized sheet metal.  I hate that stuff, when you
weld it the zinc spits, vaporizes and burns .  It makes for
a lousy weld and also makes me physically sick from the
fumes ( sort of like a bad case of the flu).
        I was determined to take the zinc off and considered
using the wire brush on my bench grinder.  That would take
forever and probably not get all the zinc off.
        I just solved the problem.
I brushed on muriatic acid (32% hydrocloric acid used for
pool maintenance).  In less than five minutes the zinc was completely
gone from both sides of the sheet metal.  The zinc first turned
black and then it was easy to brush off with the paint brush
that I was applying the acid with.  The acid fumes were bad,
but I set up a fan to blow them away.
        After a good water wash I gave the ultra clean steel
a light spray of WD-40 as I was not ready to weld it at the
moment.
        I used my plastic laundry sink to do the acid work
in.  I kept the water running to prevent damage to the plumbing.
Cleaned the sink nicely too.

        Recommand that you do not have an open flame
or smoke during this procedure.  I assume that some
of the fumes may be flameable.
Rubber gloves are recommended.

        I have previously used muriatic acid to clean rusty steel
and rusty cast iron.  It takes a little longer than zinc, but
it does a great job.  DO NOT try this to clean your
alternator casting or pot metal parts. By, By casting if you do.

        Some of you will quickly note that what I am doing
can cause hydrogen embrittlement.  This may be true, and
therefore I do not use this cleaning method  on any parts
that would cause safty problems if they broke.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others