Re: Positive and/or negative earth: Why on earth?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Positive and/or negative earth: Why on earth?
From: Mark Rudnicki <markr@advdata.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:48:19 -0500
I'm not an electrical engineer either, but I would venture to say that
there is no advantage one way or another if an electrical circuit, or
system for that matter, is positive, or negative earth ground.  The only
difference is that the direction of the flow of electrons is opposite
between the two.  For that reason, things that are designed to have
electrons flowing through them in a given direction (things that are
sensitive to polarity) must be grounded accordingly.

As far as I know, today the world seems to have pretty much settled on
negative-earth grounding.  The thing that I find interesting about this
system is that people commonly think of the positive side as being the
"hot" side, or the business end where the electrons come from.  It makes
sense to think of things moving from positive to negative. In truth,
though, electrons actually flow from the ground, or negative side, to
the positive side.

Someone once told me that there is actually something that does flow
from the positive to the negative side of a circuit, and that is a
"hole", or a positively charged particle that somehow shows up when an
electron gets moved.  I didn't really get an good explanation of what a
hole is besides that, and I'm not sure if it is even anything more than
a theoretical particle.  But I digress...

Mark Rudnicki