Tiger side molding

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger side molding
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:30:11 -0500
Another tale of woe. When I purchased my Mk I Tiger (in serious need of
restoration) last year, it had black plastic mouldings on either side in
place of the stainless originals...presumably to match the black powder
coated bumpers and over-riders. Since the car was painted silver grey,
it didn't look all that bad. The original stainless moldings, some with
peculiar shapes, came as part of the "this goes with the car" package.

As part of my winter work program, I decided to straighten and then
restore the original moldings. When I removed the plastic moldings
(rubber glue of some sort), only a few of the anticipated clip holes
showed up. The plastic molding was apparently put on last time the car
was painted, at which time the body received a  dose of body filler
prior to painting. This filler covered most of the molding clip holes,
which had mostly been filled with pop rivets before covering. I was able
to locate the holes in the doors, the rear half of the rear quarter
panels, and all but one in the front quarter panels since I could  get
to the inside of the metal (or they weren't covered in the first place)
and I located the rivets, bondo etc which was in the holes.

I am left with either guessing where the other five holes should be on
an equal spacing basis, which won't be exactly right based on the not
quite equally spaced holes that I have found, or asking someone on the
list to provide me with the correct locations, i.e distance from some
handy edge. The holes I need to locate are, in the front panels, the
hole immediately ahead of the Tiger badge (the rear hole for the front
strip), and in the rear quarter panel, the front four holes. If I could
ascertain the distance of the front panel hole from the door opening
edge, and the distance of the other four holes from the rear door
opening edge, then I can drill with some expectation of being very
close.

Any help will be appreciated.

John Slade
B9470349