Re: New Lucas-Girling Magic???

To: "Mark Radelow" <radelow@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Lucas-Girling Magic???
From: "Joe Hankins" <jhankins@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:07:09 -0500
Mark,

I'm afraid it would be hard to be much further off base than you are on this
one!!!

My Tiger has had silicone (not spelling) brake fluid for over ten years.
The seals are fine, and there is no rust.

If you put silicone into a system that had conventional brake fluid in it
without flushing the system, then the combination of conventional and
synthetic fluid can and will  dissolve seals.

The idea of any brake fluid being compressible enough to feel in the pedal
is simply ridiculous.  I suspect you were feeling the efect of the damaged
seals.  My brakes aren't even remotely squishy.

The fact that synthetic brake fluid  won't absorb water is one of its key
advantages.  The primary reason I use it is to avoid the rust problems that
can happen with a car that sits all winter without being driven. If the
system is properly flushed when the silicone is put in, then there won't be
any water in the system. How is water going to get into the system if the
fluid doesn't absorb it?

The only down side to silicone fluid is that it is expensive and sometimes
hard to find.

And it doesn't disolve paint like conventional brake fluid does, either!

Joe