Re: New Lucas-Girling Magic???

To: jhankins@ix.netcom.com, radelow@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: New Lucas-Girling Magic???
From: "Mark Radelow" <radelow@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 23:44:00 PST
I probably should have clarified about the seals dissolving thing.  You
are correct on that.  In regards to the question of spongyness.  Silicon
fluid is difficult to pour cleanly and will almost always have some
about of air trap in it.  Of course that is becoming a moot point today
with the fact that there are hydralic machines for changing the fluid.
In regards to compressability, it is a common misconception that silicon
brake fluid is uncompressable.  It is INDEED compressable and the fact
is that that level of compressability is independant of temperature.
This is also at a lower temperature than it's boiling point which makes
its DOT 5 rating a misleading figure.  The primary reason to get silicon
fluid is because of its lack of water absorbtion (which can be a
good/bad thing).  Now that one can buy regular DOT 5.1 fluid that is not
silicon I find this to be a better choice.  Especially for me because VW
specifically states (as does my Teves ABS system) that silicon fluid MAY
NOT be used in the system whatsoever.  Okay I think I have wasted enough
bandwidth on this subject.  Any more stuff will be private.

Mark