RE: inquiry 021799a

To: "'laifman@flash.net'" <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: RE: inquiry 021799a
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:30:21 -0500

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333

* -----Original Message-----
* From: Steve Laifman [mailto:laifman@flash.net]
* "Wright, Larry" wrote:
*>I would imagine it would be possible to put innards
*> from another, non-clock, instrument .........
* What we really need is an electronic "Fox Finder" to alert us
* to a comely
* attraction.  Of course calibration to meet exacting standards is a
* necessity. (SNIP)
* Any other brilliant uses for an empty hole begging to be filled?

        Best if NOBODY touches that last sentence, OK?
        Gee, here I was thinking of do-able, practical applications, and
Steve has us thinking on a _much_ grander scale. Actually, the
thermometer sounds useful. And I'm sure one of our electrical-engineer
friends could make a radar detector diplay through the gauge face; say
make the needle point to 9 for X band, 3 for K band, etc. How about as a
signal-strength meter for a CB radio? Or read out in decibels for
evaluating stereos and exhausts? Could the sensors for the low tire
pressure warnings some new cars have be adapted to display on the clock?
Or an elapsed-time stopwatch affair? And is there an instrument that can
smell out a Chevy?
        To quote the movie Short Circuit, "I need innnnnput"; cannot
have too many gauges. :^)