Re: Fuel pump leaks

To: "John Crawley" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>, <DJoh797014@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump leaks
From: "Louie & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:54:28 -0700
As an Aircraft mechanic, and The Quality Assurance Division Chief for the
squadron, Please let me reassure you about fuel leaks. There are "uppers"
and "downers". An upper is a small seepage, and depending on location,
1,2,3, 15 drops per minute. We actually use a stopwatch to see if they are
within limits! These leaks will generally be in such a place that as the A/C
moves forward, the leak will be spread towards the rear of the plane and
into the atmosphere.
A "Downer" is a leak that will travel rearward onto a hot surface.
E. g. a leak that passes, or drips onto a bleed air line, or onto the
exhaust pipe. Contact with these surfaces will ingnite (or be conducive to
igniting) the fuel.
So, if you have fuel leaking onto the belly, no big deal, you would be hard
pressed to find an A/C (other tha single engine) that does not. A fuel leak
close to the powerplant or within the pod itself and you will wait till it
is fixed, or get on another flight. A/C flight is the safest travel in the
world. I believe it and I know it!! Trust me, there are thousands of people
doing everything to keep A/C on the ground. If I had one suggestion for
anyone, it would be to pay attention during the safety breif and mentally
prepare yourself for the crash. Think your way through survival until the
point where you don't have to think about it. This is the one thing that ALL
survivors had in common when a plane crashed and others died. Feel better?
Lou