Re: Fuel pump switch/Gas Cap

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, Bob Burruss <burruss@camber.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump switch/Gas Cap
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:18:30 -0800
Jim, et LIsters,

Probably most of you know that the vent for the Tiger gas tank is a tube
that tees off the main hose between the gas cap and the right side saddle
tank. No need to modify the cap if this vent hose is working properly;
i.e., not plugged, bent, folded, spindled, or mutilated.

Bob

At 08:02 PM 2/21/99 -0500, James Barrett wrote:
>At 12:45 PM 2/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>I know a Tiger owner who drove home (several miles) with his fuel pump kill
>>switch switched off!  Seems the afternoon sun had warmed everthing enough to
>>create a little pressure in the fuel tanks.  The pump wasn't needed.  I
>>still think the switch is a good idea.
>>   --Bob Burruss
>>
>Bob,
>        Back in the early 1970 I filled up my Tiger II with
>gas and then went to work.  It warmed up that day and
>at 5:00 I hit the key to go home.  Well, the starter would
>not turn the motor.  I checked under the hood and smelled gas.
>Checked the oil and it was indicating oil at the top of the dip
>stick.  The pressure relief valve (if any) in the gas cap
>had failed and filled the cylinder(s) and crankcase with
>gasoline.  Had to drain the oil/gas right there and refill with
>new oil.  The motor turned over after a few more tries.
>I drilled a small vent hole in the interior of the gas cap
>and haven't had that problem since.  That was the first
>modification to my Tiger II and I haven't stopped yet.
>        Still do not know if there is a valve in the
>gas cap.  Would have to to distroy the pot-metal rivets to get
>the cap apart.
>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com