Testing was Re: British Engineering Might

To: ritchie@mcn.org, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Testing was Re: British Engineering Might
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:58:34 EST
Very Marginal Tiger Content

In a message dated 2/24/99 11:07:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, ritchie@mcn.org
writes:

> I remember seeing a TV show when I was a kid in the fifties.  They were
>  shooting turkey carcass's out of a compressed air cannon not at windshields
>  but at running engines mounted on a test stand.  If I remember right they
>  were testing to see if the engines and props could take a hit from a large
>  flying bird.  I remember that the turkey's were wrapped up in paper and
>  tied with string.  It was a weird sight.  The big props just chopped them
>  up like minced meat and didn't loose a beat.

 I met this retired General who's job it was after WWII to take old Air Force
and Navy aircraft, start the engines on the ground and then shoot machine gun
bullets into the engines.  They were developing survivability statistics for
future aircraft.  According to him, some of those old beasts were pretty darn
durable.  Can you imagine the vintage War Bird buffs hearing about this.
They'd probably react the same way we would if we heard that Chrysler back in
the late 60's took Tigers and smashed them into a wall to extrapolate how
Chrysler motors would do.  Hey, maybe we can start some new folklore about the
Tiger.

Rob Kempinski
Melbourne Fl