Tiger Axles

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger Axles
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:20:14 -0800
Listers,

I visited Dale A's shop last week. Mark is doing what he can while Dale is
recovering. However, some projects are sitting, awaiting his supervision.
In particular, Jeff (?) Queen's race car is sitting awaiting replacement of
an axle that has a sheared off key (where the hub taper fits to the axle).
It seems that Queen's monster Draule motor found the weak point in the
drive system. I gather that this is not the first time this particular
failure has happened. The question is, what is the best remedy? I know that
Doane Spencer used the smaller Dana (23?) rear end and used hardened axles
so they would survive the high torque applied to them. I have even seen the
Dana 44 axle broken under extreme abuse. This is the first I've heard of
the keyway key shearing off. Could this be caused by the hub being
insufficiently tightened? What about hardening the key? What about adding a
second keyway? I figure at least a few of you out there have already been
there, done that. If we can give Mark a solution, he can get Queen's car
back on the track.

Thanks for any input,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com