Centerforce pedal pressure

To: "'Tiger List'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Centerforce pedal pressure
From: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:17:10 -0700
Mike asked about the pedal pressure.  My Tiger is the only one I have ever
driven and is the reference point.  My clutch must have been pretty tired.
It engaged in what I estimate to be the last 10% of the pedal travel and it
didn't take much pressure to work the pedal.  With the Centerforce, I now
have smooth engangement throughout the pedal travel (like other manual
transmission cars I have driven).  The pedal pressure is noticeably greater.
It was sufficiently greater that I immediately wondered how that little
slave cylinder was doing its job down there and if the bracket was flexing.
I got my wife out in the garage to work the pedal while I got underneath to
see how things were holding up - looked ok, but there was some minor flexing
of the stock bracket.  Never thought much about it before, but I now have a
lot of respect for what you can do with hydraulics.  Also can see why some
aftermarket slave cylinder brackets for the 6-bolt bellhousing conversion
need to be reinforced.  I estimate that on my car, the Centerforce takes
about 50% more pedal pressure than what I had before.  I don't even notice
it now after driving it a few times.

BTW, there were several warnings included with the clutch to drive it like a
little old lady in traffic for the first 500 miles to break it in before
driving it hard.  At the rate I drive this car that's going to be six months
before I get to test out those Larry Atkisson traction bars.  Think I should
wait?

Dave