RE: Contact Cement - Dashes and Dashtops

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Contact Cement - Dashes and Dashtops
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:54:53 -0700

I've had two people tell me I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Maybe I was doing something wrong - and now I think I might know what that
was.  I put contact cement on the top of the dash and on the front (or
rear, I guess) 2" edge.  I found that it was very difficult to press the 2"
front edge together at the same time making sure the top part did not fully
settle in the wrong spot.  That was my mistake - I should never have put
glue on the 2" edge.  That would have allowed me to simply rest the dash
top on dowels, press the dashtop flat against the 2" edge, then drop it
down.  It would have been very easy - without even needing wax paper, etc.
Presumably, if the top is fully glued, the dash top will not be going
anywhere and no further glue will be needed on the 2" edge.

So I guess I'm glad I kept pushing this issue so that I can do it right
now.

Jay

P.S.  I am not doing a dash face.  That is someone else.  My only big
concern on doing a dash face is that if the grain on the wood needs to be
lined up so that the result does not look crooked (like the horizontal
lines dropping to one side), you will need some sort of markings (in
addition to the dowels) to make sure you put it where you want it.