Re: 100LL

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject: Re: 100LL
From: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 07:15:44 -0400
The article said these were "typical" or base numbers with timing set at
34 degrees full advance. Spark plug placement, piston design, chamber design,
cam and ignition timing all have a part to play. There test octane engine was
a pretty basic design.

NOTE:
Automotive octane ratings are determined in a special single-cylinder engine
with a variable compression ratio ( CR 4:1 to 18:1 ) known as a Cooperative
Fuels Research ( CFR ) engine. The cylinder bore is 82.5mm, the stroke is
114.3mm, giving a displacement of 612 cm3. The piston has four compression
rings, and one oil control ring. The intake valve is shrouded. The head and
cylinder are one piece, and can be moved up and down to obtain the desired
compression ratio.  The engines have a special four-bowl carburettor that
can adjust individual bowl air-fuel ratios. This facilitates rapid switching
between reference fuels and samples. A magnetorestrictive detonation sensor
in the combustion chamber measures the rapid changes in combustion chamber
pressure caused by knock, and the amplified signal is measured on a
"knockmeter" with a 0-100 scale [104,105]. A complete Octane Rating engine
system costs about $200,000 with all the services installed. Only one
company manufactures these engines, the Waukesha Engine Division of Dresser
Industries, Waukesha. WI 53186.

Doug