Re: 100LL

Subject: Re: 100LL
From: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:58:52 -0400
I don't have the figures in front of me but but if I remember correctly the
100LL
av. gas octane is about the same as the 92 M*R/2 pump gas. The ratings for
the two different. Pump gas is rated by taking the Motor rating and the
research
rating and averaging the two. Aviation gas just uses the higher rating. Are
you sure
you need 100+ octane? If doesn't  ping or knock on pump gas higher octane
will not help you HP. If you do need the higher octane I would use the pump
gas
and add 10% Toluene (124 Research octane if I remember correctly) from a
paint
supply house. The higher the octane generally speaking the energy in the
fuel goes
down and you have to burn more of it to get the same HP.

   Compression       Octane Number    Brake Thermal Efficiency
     Ratio            Requirement         ( Full Throttle )
      5:1                 72                      -
      6:1                 81                     25 %
      7:1                 87                     28 %
      8:1                 92                     30 %
      9:1                 96                     32 %
     10:1                100                     33 %
     11:1                104                     34 %
     12:1                108                     35 %

Avgas is less dense than most racing gasolines. Instead of weighing about
6.l to 6.3
pounds per gallon like racing gasoline, it weighs 5.8 to 5.9 pounds per
gallon. The racer
must compensate for this by changing to richer [larger] jets in the
carburetor when
changing from racing gasolines to Avgas.

Check out:
http://agassiz.cas.und.nodak.edu/~nordlie/cars/gasoline.html
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part3.html
http://www.tgill.com/racefaq.htm#faq5