Re: GT Door panels

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Subject: Re: GT Door panels
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:49:51 -0400
At 04:45 PM 4/19/99 -0700, you wrote:

>I am restoring a SIII GT.  I have all the special GT door panel parts,
>cranks, pieces, windwings, etc.  These are the doors that came on the GT
>Alpines and the later Tigers - with the padded roll along the top of the
>door, and the horizontal lines melted into the material.
>
>The only problem is that Martha Wheat can no longer get the red material I
>used on my seats.  She can only get one that is just slightly darker.  So,
>I am debating going with my standard ST doors because I still have the
>matching red door panels for that.  I have been tempted to go that route
>anyway since most GT doors I've seen don't seem as nice as I'd expect.  The
>panel itself never seems to be as flat as I'd like it.
>
>Does anyone have similar experiences with GT doors?  I'm talking about the
>bad fit and finish, not the material color problem.  It could be that most
>GT doors I've seen were still factory jobs, so 30 years have warped them.
>But, from the nice condition of most of the cars, I suspect that they are
>newer.  Maybe it's just hard to do right.  The GT doors are supposed to be
>"fancier."  They just rarely look that way.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>
>Jay
        On My Tiger II, which have the GT door panels, I have found
that the front upper edge of the vinel gets distorted and pulled
by the rubber stripping .  The cardboard backing for the panels
also warp due to old age and water.  The GT cardboard has metal
pieces attached around the edges.  These also rust out along
the bottom.  Some recommend that replacement panels be lined
on the inside with plastic sheeting to prevent water from
getting on the panel inside the door.  The chrome piece
attached to the visor window also fails due to the lack of
support under the rear most long screw.  The chrome piece
cracks at the screw hole.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others