Not so Hot

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Not so Hot
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 15:01:51 -0400
Folks,
        Several people have asked that I publish the figures
for my 351C Tiger.  Well here goes, and I know I was disturbed
when I saw the number.

First the specifications:
351C 4 barrel closed chamber heads from 1970 Torino.
Rebuilt with flat top pistons and a 280 Crane Cam
9.5 compression, 93 octane gas.(slight ping under load)
Oil presently overfilled by 1 quart by mistake.
Spark plugs, well oiled.
Edelbrock 4 barrel Cleveland intake.
650 Holly Double Pumper.
Mustang air filter streached and smashed to fit
the Tiger Air cleaner housing.
Harland sharp roller rockers.
Hand made headers with 1 5/8" pipes and a "flat four"
collector. ( similar to NASCAR setup for clearance).
SROD transmission 3.29, 1.84, 1 and .71
Long clutch (regular replacement parts)
2.88 rear, no limited slip.
225-50-15 TOYO V rated rear tires. (874 rev/Mile)
30 PSI in tires.
No burn out performed.
Weight 2620 with driver and full tank of gas.
Temperature 75 degrees Sunny, 60% humidity
Track, very rough and lumpy with Zero rubber down.
Wheel spin at least a second at start.
Shift times, 1 or more seconds per 1-2nd, 2-3,
Max Rpm unknown, started shift when motor started
to miss.(too busy to see digital tach under dash).
Zero wheel hop.  (Old weld on Traction Masters)
Motor is moved back 1 1/4 " from normal Tiger motor mounts.
About 50K miles on motor since rebuild.

GTEC PRO Numbers:
1/4 mile 102.2 Mph at 15.2 seconds(best of 2 tries)
Indicated HP 114.(Best of 2 tries)
(Weight entered into GTec Pro at 2620 lb.)
0-60 Mph (didn't get valid numbers, indicated 16.5 seconds at 65 mph
so this was the 1/4 time when I let off to get the 60 Mph number)
Three tries and never did get a valid 0-60 number.
(Too much traffic, even on a back road)

Given the 1/4 mile mph and 2620 weight the HP
should have been 185 , but what I got is what I
am presenting.

I tried my V6 2.8L Alpine Automatic and it maxed at
75 HP. (Weight Entered at 2700 lb.) It is a real slug compared
to the Tiger.  Didn't get any 1/4 mile time in the Alpine.
Didn't have that long to wait.

My biggest problem with the Tiger is in the shifting.
At 2500 RPM or so the shifts are smooth, easy and quick.
At high RPM the shift lever is extreamly hard to move
and as a result the shifts are very slow.  I will re-adjust
the length of the shifter rod to give more clearance when
the clutch is pushed and see if that helps.

The reason I changed from the original Tiger II wide ratio
transmission to the SROD (much newer) was that I had the same problem
with high RPM shifts.  I had assumed that the original
transmission was worn, but I saw no indications of wear when
I opened it up.  I use 90 weight oil in the transmissions.
The shifter on the SROD is a "Hurst Indy".

Any one have an idea of how to make a toploader shift
quick and easy at 5000+ RPM.  Am I the only one with
this problem?

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others