RE: Not so Hot

To: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Not so Hot
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 12:52:58
Jim, Allan, et Listers,

Not sure what to make of your shifting problem Jim, but I don't believe
there is any problem with the toploader shifting at high rpms, unless
perhaps you have a pilot bearing alignment problem. If the problem is
really with the clutch, that's a different story, but I presume you can
distinguish the difference. Now, while we're on the subject of shifting at
high rpms, I'd like to point out the importance of matching the engine rpms
when downshifting rather than relying on the "synchros". Use a "heel & toe"
or what I use is "toe & ankle" to brake and bring up the engine rpms to
allow you to release the clutch with the engine turning at the same speed
relative to the tranny. If you don't do it this way, over a period of time
you abuse the synchros and also do violence to the engine with the abrupt
change in rpm when you engage the clutch. I've seen engines come apart as a
result of this kind of abuse and the synchros are guaranteed to wear out in
any case if downshifted often without matching engine rpm. Of course, I'm
talking about downshifting in the 5-8,000 rpm range, but even at modest
rpms, it's still a good idea to "heel & toe" your downshifts. The toploader
shifts like butter when you do it right. This technique takes a little
practice, but it's a technique worth mastering and is even downright fun
once you get the hang of it.

Bob

At 08:59 AM 5/3/99 -0700, Allan Connell, Jr. wrote:
>Jim,
>
>From my observations, I have not problem with shifting at high "R's" versus
>low ones.  Seems to be pretty much the same if not a bit faster at the
>higher R's.  I too have the Hurst short lever close gate shifter.  The only
>hindrance is what seems to be a long shift from 2nd to 3rd because I have
>the seat so far back to accommodate my long legs and big feet.
>
>Regards,
>
>Allan

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.