RFC/Overheating Tiger (LONG & TIRESOME)

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RFC/Overheating Tiger (LONG & TIRESOME)
From: Richard F Flynn <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 14:03:51 +0100
Apologies to bring up what is no doubt a tiresome subject for some (a FAQ would
be helpful here - saw the start made in January - would be great to see it all
come
together!), but I am trying to cure my recently acquired Tiger of its hot
temperament.
I have surfed the list archives heavily, had some helpful advice from Mssr. S.
Laifman, and would now like to ask the list at large for any comment on my
proposed
course of treatment below.

thanks in advance,

rick & B9471206

Running Characteristics @ 70F ambient temps:
        - 170F-180F @ 60MPH-70MPH
        - 210F-220F @ 30MPH-40MPH
        - 250F+ after 15 - 20 minutes of stop/go traffic city (London UK) or
          just idling in the drive, where upon it gets finicky, stops running,
          stalls, and looses tan(!) fluid from the overflow tube only
(the current specification of my Tiger is included at the bottom of this
message)

Proposed course of treatment:
        1) Figure out what I have (see "Current Specification") and what exactly
           is happening (see "Running Characteristics")
        2) Based on that information and that gleaned from the list folks, I am
           planning on:
                - establish accuracy of temperature gauge (though clearly there
                  is a problem)
                - check radiator cap & thermostat (which is currently a mystery)
                - having cooling system professionally flushed (the system was
                  drained & refilled 2 weeks ago, so the tan color is a bit
                  disconcerting, especially knowing it has been seldom used for
                  the past 3 years)
                - install Gano filer on radiator
                - replace 6-blade water pump fan with one of the fans identified
                  by the list, I suspect the Volvo will prove easier to locate
                - replace unshrouded auxiliary electric fan with shrouded high
                  flow fan, probably the Scott Manufacturing fan discussed on
                  the list from time to time
                - close gaps & holes around radiator
        3) Other possible modifications (no necessarily related to my problem)
                - install electronic ignition (the Pertronics seems popular)
                - possibly replace fuel pump (currently an unknown quantity)

My Current Questions:
        - Any comments, suggestions, things I overlooked or missed?
        - Does anyone know of a source for the Volvo fans (does Volvo still make
          them - parts yards are a bit scarce in central-London)?
        - Anyone know a good radiator place in/near central London?
        - It seems to me to be clearly a low speed problem, possibly compounded
by
          a semi-clogged cooling system.  Is this a fair assesment of the
situation
          or am I missing the mark?

Current Specification
  - 1965 Tiger MKI B9471206
    w/289ci engine, transplanted at an unknown date from an unknown origin (in
    Texas apparently):
        - complete rebuild 2500 miles/3 years ago (yes, spent a fair
          amount of time not being used)
        - tested on rolling road 2 weeks ago, so timing, ignition, etc.
          are fine
        - no build up of grime/crud on engine
        - no unusual objects restricting air flow through grill, etc.

        - air cleaner           : standard
        - carburetor            : Carter
        - manifold              : Offenhauser 306 Dualport
        - cam                   : mild, but "hotter-than-stock"
        - heads/valves          : standard
        - pistons/crank/etc     : standard
        - ignition/distributor  : standard
        - fuel pump             : standard

        - water pump            : new, standard
        - water pump fan        : 6-blade flex fan (yellow blades pop
                                  riveted to white star base, all fiberglass)
        - fan belt              : new
        - radiator cap          : 15lb
        - thermostat            : unknown
        - radiator              : unidentified high efficiency, unknown number
of
                                  cores with 3/8" spacing & 9 ribons/inch
        - radiator hoses        : new
        - radiator shroud       : standard & complete
        - auxiliary fan         : unshrouded 4-blade fan in front of radiator
        - hood/bonnet           : standard

rick