Re: Ahagggggggggggg! again

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ahagggggggggggg! again
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:06:16 -0400
>  ...      Blue smoke, fairly large quantities comming out
>of the passenger side exhaust, expecially when I let off
>the gas....  Rough running...

Checked the plugs and all appeared to be running too cold
for my in town driving.  Using Autolite 24 plugs.
I have to use the manual choke for about a mile when
I start and then 9 miles of stop-go driving.  The carbon
is the classic "running too rich,or cold plugs, carbon".
Plugs have less than 500 miles on them.

Plug readings:
1: carbon but not too bad
2: carbon
3: some carbon but not to bad
4: Indication of a little oil (This may be the problem area for the oil smoke)
5: clean with signs of some carbon
6: carbon
7: carbon
8: clean with signs of some carbon

The carbon may be the reason for the rough running.

Reved it up to 5500 for a few seconds and had a huge brown cloud,
(not blue or black) out both tailpipes.  Then the brown went away.
There was no more smoke at that point. I assume this was crud
being blown out of the exhaust system.  The exhaust and mufflers
have been on a long time.  The Headers and exhaust system are
in good shape.  1 5/8" headers and 2 1/2" dual exhausts. Nothing
is smashed and the mufflers seem to be OK.

Rechecked #1 plug after this and most of the carbon was gone.

The Intake is a dual plane Edelbrock for a 4 barrel Cleveland.
2,3,5 and 8 are the upper plane. All except for #2 the plugs
on this plane were cleaner than 1,4,6&7.
        The Carb is a 650 Holly Double pumper.  The jets are
2 sizes smaller than the off-the-shelf carb jets, just can't remember
what they are at the moment.

Not sure what to do about the indicated mixture distribution problem.
  Maybe provide two different jets in the primarys?

Have Magnetic pickup Ford Dist and Ford ignition Module with
a big hot coil.  Fairly new silicon wires as well. Normally
starts instantly when cold if choke is partly pulled.

Have to wait to this weekend to pull the valve covers and
check the valve seals.  The seals are special aftermarket
that required machining for installation.  Do not know the
brand as they were already installed when I replaced the heads
the last time.
        Screw in studs, Harland Sharp roller rockers, Merosco?
guide plates and hardened push rods are also included.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others