Re: Sunbeam S7 Motorcycle

To: tob@taltec.net
Subject: Re: Sunbeam S7 Motorcycle
From: comorgan@juno.com
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:18:19 -0600
Hey,  What happened to the guy with the question about the Sunbeam S7
motorcycle?  Bob, was it you that ran him off faster than a stray dog
trying to eat your cat's food?

I never had a Sunbeam MC, but I did have an Ariel and my first bikle was
a Matchless (Matchless does not mean, having no matches).  When I saw
Toby's message, I went out to my store room and found my copy of MODERN
MOTORCYLCLE MECHANICS, 4 th edition, 1953 by J.B. Nicholson. The book was
located between  Counseling the Emotionally Disturbed and Child
Psychology (Bob, are you listening?)

Low and behold, on page 15 was a picture of a lovely O.H.C. 500 c.c. Twin
Model S7. (think of a BMW with a BSA Twin engine, to imagine what the
Sunbeam looks like).  The Sunbeam was ahead of it's time with shaft
drive.  It weighed 430 lbs, 4 speed, compression ratio of 6.8 or 7.2 to 1
and put out 26 B.H.P. at 5800 rpm.  Maximum speed (are you still with
me?) was 80 M.P.H.  It was made between 1947 and 1952.  Anybody know if
Tigers are related in any way to this beauty?

Cliff, 9471187

On Sat, 22 May 1999 16:03:35 -0700 "Toby Atwater" <tob@taltec.net>
writes:
>I belong to the Spridget list and own a Sprite, but I just need some
>quick
>info, I don't think this list deals with motorcycles but maybe someone
>has
>some insight on the Sunbeam S7 Motorcycle? maybe not... but I need
>some
>general info.. import into the US? what years they were made?
>displacement,
>500 right? etc... possible sources in the US? thanks... I searched the
>web
>but didn't get very much info... only a few picture, maybe they are
>too
>rare....
>
>maybe someone can point me the right direction... thanks much...
>
>Toby
>
>BTW Alpines are great... French cars are cool...except for LeCar...
>Thanks!

Cliff

Cliff Morgan, Ph.D.
COMORGAN@JUNO.COM