Fw: Paint problem

To: "Tiger News Group Address" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Paint problem
From: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:17:53 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Ronak
To: Tim Ronak
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 1999 8:34 AM

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 12:53:51 +0000
From: Jeff Hacker <alpine@kiva.net>
Subject: paint problem

hello all,

  My question is with a problem that has accurred with my Alpine's
paint.
It seems my neighbor thinks he needs to water his lawn (and mine too)
even though it rains here every 3 days;  the water from the sprinkler
sprayed the trunk of my car this morning.  It is 85 degrees and bright
sun today -  the results are now I have white water spots all over my
trunk lid.  These spots will not rub out of the paint.  The paint is a
10 yr. old carnival red lacquer that was still in showroom condition
until this morning.
   Question - will these water spots "lift" out on their own or will
a body shop have too be involved.  Is this common or is it just my
bad luck ?
   Any advice would be appreciated ...

thanks in advance ,
jeff

Jeff,
I don't envy you as the staining on your paint may be permanent. The water
stains that arrive on your finish sound like the result of sprinkler water
being cooked onto hot paint. Two things happen, First, minerals in the water
lines like iron and maybe other stuff are deposited onto the paint. Second,
then if allowed to dry in direct sun the water droplet acts like a
maginfying glass and then cooks those minerals into the paint. As the car is
red it may have bleached the surface and lightened the areas where the water
spot was allowed to dry on the surface. If it is bad the only correction
that has worked for me is a heavy power polish by an experienced buffer
useing a sutable abrasive polish then a final glaze with a deatiling polish.
If you are not able to polish it out then repainting will be the only
alternative.
Regards,
Tim Ronak

It is OK for sprinkler water to get on the finish as long as you dry it your
self. Do not let the sun bake it or the damage will reoccur.